Strawberries were 88 cents at the grocery store.
That’s like– some of the best news I’ve heard all week.
I bought 5 cartons of them. Naturally, I had to make something to take to work. So I made strawberry streusel muffins!
They are so good. And, of course, I found the recipe by searching Pinterest!
With wheat flour to make them feel a little bit healthier, delicious & tangy strawberries, and a sugary sweet streusel, I could have eaten the whole batch by myself!
But I didn’t, because they had to be shared.
And because it would be a tiny bit gross to eat 17 muffins.
Oh, and I have this cute muffin / cupcake carrier that I found at the grocery store for $3. It makes carrying muffins WAY easier. And it’s my favorite color!
Strawberry Streusel Muffins
(adapted from thegallerygourmet.net)
Ingredients for Muffins:
- 1.5 cups wheat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, diced (not frozen)
- 4 Tbsp mixed berry jam (I used the triple berry jam from Costco)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup wheat flour
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, cold and cubed
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line muffin tins with paper liners (recipe will make about 17 muffins).
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix butter, sour cream, egg, and vanilla.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until just combined; it will be a dough-like consistency.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Fill in muffin tins (about half to 3/4 full).
- Place about 1 tsp of mixed berry jam on top of batter and mix in swirls on top of each muffin.
- Make streusel: combine all ingredients until just blended with a crumb-like texture. If you over-mix it, it will still work. I used some margarine for the topping (because I was all out of butter!), which melts faster, so I actually ended up with a dough-like streusel. I just broke it up and sprinkles it on anyway!
- Place about 1 tbsp streusel topping on each muffin.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!