Mmmm veggie burgers. Usually, we just eat Boca Burgers, but we wanted to try to make our own… and they were great!
They’re way more hearty than Boca Burgers and many other veggie burgers we’ve had! And pretty easy to make. We just followed the recipe from Food Network Magazine (from back in June 2011!) pretty closely, but did change a few things.
As a side dish, we made Chickpeas with Broccoli (Rabe) and Bacon from Cooking Light. I’m not sure what Broccoli Rabe is, but we just used regular broccoli 🙂
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 3 baby carrots, grated
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare barley as indicated on package and let cool.
- Over medium heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil in large skillet. Add onion and cook until brown. Add the garlic, barbecue sauce, and carrot. Cook and stir for two minutes. Transfer to food processor and let cool a little.
- Add all other ingredients to the food processor except the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Process until finely ground with some chunks. Form six half-inch-thick patties and cook with remaining olive oil on stove.
- Serve with barbecue sauce, lettuce and tomato.