Cauliflower rice is something that we have tried once or twice before and been okay with (cauliflower doesn’t taste like much), but not overwhelmingly excited about.
This blog post details the basics of making cauliflower rice and three ways to make it. I definitely agree with her methods.
1. Cut cauliflower into small florets.
2. Put cauliflower into food processor and chop into small, rice-sized bits.
3. Cook on the stovetop with a little oil.
The first two steps you can do ahead of time, and cook the rice as necessary through the week.
Have you ever had Caribbean rice and beans? They are so good. This is a much, much simpler version of the traditional rice and beans, but with the same flavor palette. We definitely loved this version of cauliflower rice. Cooking it on the stovetop keeps some of the crunchiness of the cauliflower, which we definitely enjoyed over a steamed, mushier rice.
Cauliflower Rice and Beans
Serves 8 as a side dish
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped finely into rice
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp cumin
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat.
- When oil is liquid and hot, add cauliflower. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add black beans and cumin. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until entirely heated through.